Saturday, January 29, 2011

So, if you can't eat it - should you use it?


Hm mm, I was super excited to get my samples packet from DermaE today!  I ordered just a few days back and love the fact that they put together a sample packet for the purchase price of $4.95 (they call it the free sample pack, but obviously it isn't free).  However, they are so good that they put a coupon in your packet for $5.00 off your first purchase, so at this time...your sample packet does become free :-).

As I read more and more about the raw food world and the transformation that your entire life can go through I started thinking about my skin.  I mean it is the largest organ of our bodies and if I am still using lots of chemical induced products on my skin...I'm taking a step back every time I apply it.   Our skin is a living, breathing, body cleaning organ and if we stop it up, well we all know what happens when things get stopped up!


So this got me to thinking about natural skin products and more often then not during my searches I found DermaE come up.  Thus, I ordered the sample packet.

As you can see, there are many products in this packet that include everything from day and night cremes, to hand moisturizer to microdermabrasion scrub to facial cleansers and serums.  The greatest thing about these products is that they are paraben-free, cruelty-free, 100% vegan, free of phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfates, petrolatum, artificial colors, mineral oil and they are PH balanced.

The products seem to be reasonably priced to me (Of course this would depend on what you usually spend on these types of products).  Click here to find out more about dermaE products.

I know that as I grow deeper into the raw food life that my skin will virtually take care of itself - until then I am on the search for products free of pore-clogging coatings!  I'll keep you up to date on my opinion of these products (I'll test the first ones out tonight).


Found this info at the doctor yourself website:

"This quote from Harold C. Hopkins in March 1975 FDA Consumer:

FDA (Food and Drug Administration) authority under the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act to regulate synthetic detergent shampoos, along with other cosmetics, falls considerably short of the comprehensive kind of jurisdiction the Act authorizes for regulation of foods and drugs. The maker of a cosmetic is not required, as is the sponsor of a new drug, to obtain FDA approval before marketing to assure that the product is safe and effective. And cosmetics makers, unlike food processors, are not required to obtain FDA clearance to use new additives (except for color additives) in their products.  The law does hold the manufacturer of a synthetic detergent shampoo or other cosmetic solely responsible for safety in its use. He is expected to use ingredients about which there have been no questions of safety, and to perform adequate studies... to make sure his product is safe before he puts it on the market. FDA must trust that the manufacturer has fulfilled his responsibility.

It is only if, or should we say when, an "adverse reaction" occurs that the consumer or the manufacturer is supposed to notify FDA and then FDA will "look into the matter." This does not seem like much of a safeguard to the millions of people who may have been using the product already.

So, my burning question is:  

 If you can't eat it - should you use it?  (below you can read some interesting FDA Enforcement (or should I say lack of) when it comes to cosmetics and soaps)

What do you think?  What do you use?


 FDA's enforcement of its regulatory powers over foods are weak enough. Think of all the chemicals, preservatives, dyes and other additives that are legally allowed, to contaminate our food.  To think that

FDA's authority over cosmetics and shampoos is actually less than its control over "Kool-Aid," "Twinkies," Mello Yello," "Hamburger Helper" and bologna! 

The Food. Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938 defines a cosmetic. But the same law specifically excludes soap from this definition of a cosmetic and it Is thus exempt from FDA regulation.

We'd better all read the package labels for everything we put on our bodies as well as for everything we put into them. The Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938 was a very watered down excuse for the original and very strict Food and Drug Act of 1906. The original 1906 law actually permitted only pure foods and drugs! It didn't last long, after industrial lobbying and governmental corruption started after it. If you want to read an account of this amazing and unlawful process, it is all in Dr. Harvey W. Wiley's A History of a Crime Against the Food Law, most recently republished only by photocopy. This is probably another job for your skilled librarian and an interlibrary loan. If you still think that the government protects us from toxic substances in what we eat or drink or put on our skin, it's time to reconsider. 

 There is little question that natural cosmetic products, soaps and shampoos are nearly as important to us as natural foods. Nature is best for your inside and your outside".


UPDATE after USE

Most of the products in the sample purchase were great.  I really liked the facial smoothie and the night creams.  My favorite product was the sample of microdermabrasion scrub - it rocks!

An although DermaE products contain far less chemicals than my current cosmetics...If I'm making a switch it's for one that is pure!  So it's sad to say that DermaE has not agreed to the Come Clean Campaign and if they do not comply by June of this year looks like they will be dropped from WHOLE FOODS stores as a product not worthy of being called "Organic" because they are not disclosing every ingredient...therefore I will not purchase them.  And...my search for cosmetics continues.

2 comments:

  1. I am totally on board with not trusting the FDA or the CDC for that matter..when they get their hands out of the chemical, big pharm, and the grocery industries...then maybe I will trust them! There are a lot of skin and hair care products that you can make at home...I haven't ventured that far yet but I know some who do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya, I know right? It's a shame that the ingredients for the everything clear down to the yellow coloring of a food product has to be disclosed...but not the chemicals that are applied to our skin- Which is only our LARGEST ORGAN! Perhaps at some point I will result to making my own face cream and such....but I am thankful that after June of this year there will be a list of companies who have listed every sinlge ingredient in their products and WILL remain on the Certified Organic List :-)...I'm looking forward to that and right now there are some companies who have already made the list and I'm going to try some samples from one of them - which I will update real soon :-).

    ReplyDelete