Friday, October 8, 2010

We Used Our Food Dehydrator


We are excited to say that we used our dehydrator last night.  I know, I know...it doesn't take much to excite us around here.   You could say our little adventure drove us BANANAS! 



We started with pretty ripe bananas soaked five minutes with a coating of lemon juice on them

Then we sliced each banana into 1/4" slices

Manny then took them and placed them on the lined racks






Then into the dehydrator they went for 16 hours

The result?  



First lets just say the house smelled like I could eat it!  These were some delicious crunchy  banana chips.  The banana taste was intense! One chip was just bursting with so much flavor that the need to keep eating them was not there.  Meaning, it took a lot less to satisfy us.


Did you know that those banana chips you buy at the store are actually fried in coconut oil and then dried and preservatives are added?

Some of my friends are wondering why dehydrate (what does it do)? 

A dehydrator is a small electronic tool that uses low temperatures and a fan to dry your food.  It pretty much removes the water from your food but keeps the food enzymes intact.    So, does this make it healthier?  Good question.

In my opinion it's probably not the healthiest way to cook food, as our body needs water and thus making dehydrated food a little harder to digest.

With that being said, my transition to healthier eating means finding healthy alternatives to some of my favorite foods like cookies, potato Chips and breads.  Dehydrated food is helping me overcome some of the textures and tastes I crave about these addictive foods! 

Now I'm even thinking I could dehydrate some herbs from the garden (I like them fresh but sometimes I can't use them all )...hmmmm...maybe bell peppers?  Zucchini bread?   Until next time....


Do you have a dehydrator (what is your favorite recipe)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment