Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Spirulina

OK, today I was in the mood for ice cream and those of you who know me personally know this is one of my weak spots.  Determined to not use dairy I searched for a recipe that could satisfy this temptation, yet be nutritious as well.  I so love Diana Stobo and her creativity!

The recipe I used was for a minty chocolate shake and can be found on my recipe page. 

What makes this shake so nutritious is an ingredient called Spirulina.  So what is it?  It is a high quality blue green algae which is a high protein, low fat source of numerous vitamins, minerals, carotenoids and essential fatty acids.  Spirulina is an excellent source of many nutrients that are hard to maintain at adequate levels with a vegetarian diet.  Most notable it is the high quality protein which contains all nine essential amino acids.  Spirulina is naturally grown without the use of herbicides or pesticides. 

So go ahead...knock yourself out and sit back and enjoy the minty coolness of this minty chocolate shake!

No comments:

Post a Comment