Thursday, January 6, 2011

Open Face Hummus Sandwich - two faced!

Ok, when I hear open face sandwich I can't help but think about the open faced roast beef sandwich I use to eat!  This sandwich is nothing like that :-)...this one is actually good for you!  And although I've not had an open face roast beef sandwich in years,  I LOVE the memories that come with it....memories of my mom and us at Famous Amos a few years ago (this was the last time I had an open face roast beef sandwich, so I'm gonna keep it that way)...she loved open face roast beef sandwiches and mashed potatoes.

I made this sandwich two faced by splitting the ingredients up over two slices of sprouted bread instead of one.  I must tell you that this was super filling.  So, if your not in the mood for a HEAVY lunch, stick with one piece of bread.  You could even use a tortilla wrap.  This is another great Diana Sobo recipe!



Ingredients:

1-2 slices sprouted grain bread, toasted if desired
Zucchini Hummus (see previous recipes on this blog) for raw version, or hummus of your choice
1/2 cucumber sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced
1/2 tomato, sliced
sprouts and or lettuce
Onion Pickles (recipe below, must be done the night before)

Spread Zucchini Hummus on top of bread slices and layer avocado, cucumber, and tomato slices.  Add lettuce or sprouts and top with onion pickles.



Onion pickles - 1 onion, thinly sliced, 2 teaspoons Ume Plum Vinegar and 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar.  Place onion in airtight container, add vinegars and cover with lid.  Shake to incorporate all flavors and let them marinade overnight in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment