Monday, October 18, 2010

Coconut Chia Fruit Smoothie - Cha Cha Cha CHIA

This week I have decided to try and incorporate a green smoothie or "raw food life" smoothie into each day as a meal replacement.  I'd love to eventually do a 30 day Cleanse of my system but I must take one step at a time.  However, this is my goal.

I chose a very simple one called Katie's Coconut Chia Fruit Smoothie out of the Raw Food Cleanse book by Penni Shelton (which can purchased in the LettuceBeHealthy Store). 

The book actually has several different types of cleanses to help you lose weight and restore your health in the way of delicious and All-Natural Foods.

So, the recipe straight from the book:

2 tablespoons of dehydrated coconut
2 tablespoons of chia seeds (more on Chia seeds below) - Soaked for 10 minutes
1 Large juicing orange, peeled (and it does need to be a large one or your smoothie will be thick)
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup ice
Vanilla Bean Powder or Vanilla extract to taste
Stevia or Honey to taste



Blend all ingredients together.






 Pour into a glass and top with blueberries or goji berries.


ENJOY!




I must say I was impressed by the clean and fresh taste of this smoothie and I am looking forward to trying the next one!  Perhaps tomorrow it will be a "green" one.

So, What are Chia Seeds and why should I even consider them in my diet?  Before this venture, I didn't know anything about Chia seeds either, so your not alone.  Here is what I have found from research/reading, etc..

Chia seeds have five times the calcium of milk, twice the protein of any other seed or grain,  and copious amounts of omega -6 and omega -3 which are essential oils for the body).  If you have diabetes, they say that because of the soluble fiber in the chia seed you benefit greatly from incorporating it into your diet.  The gel from the seed forms a wall around ingested carbohydrates, causing them to release more gradually. 

I like the seed because it did not change the taste of my smoothie and they say it will not change the flavor of your food either (so if you wanted to add it to soup or a salad, no problem).   I did feel satisfied and full from this smoothie.  So I'd say it would definitely help with hunger control.  I consider the seed to be affordable and you can purchase them at the LettuceBeHealthy Store Link. 

Only word of caution is to make sure you soak the chia seeds prior to using them or they will actually use your bodily fluid to expand and could cause dehydration and digestive issues.

Once soaked, these little seeds absorb 9 times their volume in water.  The gel they form is 90% soluble fiber and is very beneficial for your digestive tract...they even help lower cholesterol more efficiently then oatmeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment